Tuesday, December 20, 2005

Christmas Cards

On a recent trip to SF, I bought 2 boxes full of Christmas cards, thinking that I would finally hand write some of them to mail to my best buddies and family members. We have 5 days left before Christmas, and I realized that I will never make it for mailing them out on time. And the biggest problem is... it turns out I don't have the mailing addresses of most of my friends. In this information age, our physical location seems rather irrelevant in terms of our actual distance. I mean, sometimes I communicate more with my mother in Los Angeles than my brother who works within a mile from me. Have the hotmails, gmails, yahoos replaced zip codes and street names that defined our physical location? Will there be a time when some of these email addresses take on the prestigious addresses like "The Peak" or "Barker Road" etc.?
Back to where I was going... so, instead of spending money and time mailing out dozens of cards, I resorted to the good old email, and sent out e-cards: they're cheaper, faster, sometimes more reliable, and more environmentally friendly. Yes yes yes, hand-writing makes it more "special," but with my illegible hand-writing, this is probably for the better.
Getting ready for a short trip to a far-off place, and also preparing for the arrival of my parents... quite a hectic week.
BTW, nobody reads this stuff, because I haven't advertised it to my friends yet.

No comments: