Monday, February 18, 2008

You Are Not Alone...

"Thing to remember is if we're all alone, then we're all together in that too."

Saw this movie today ("P.S. I Love You") and the line that stood out was this one... not a bad line, actually, considering that we don't have many good lines from movies these days.

This Rom Com is really not that good of a Rom Com. Just the other day, I also heard on NPR that we just don't have those classics like "Sleepless is Seattle" or "When Harry Met Sally" or even "Notting Hill" made these days. Instead, we have these mediocre movies like "Fool's Gold" being the only major release for the Valentine's Day week last week in the US (followed by "Definitely, Maybe" this weekend).

McConaughey and Hudson? *yawn*

Is it because we're missing star power in this genre? It's true we don't have stars like Julia Roberts or Meg Ryan nowadays (Witherspoon in her post-Oscar slump, Heigl still being prepped up....) and we are missing leading men as well? Is Rom Com just going away as we speak? What was the last good Rom Com that I saw? hmmm... I think it was 2006's "The Holiday". Winslet is always a pleasure to watch, and Jack Black was a good and fresh match. Diaz is getting a bit... tiring; and I never saw the chemistry between her and Law. But still, the Winslet-Black part was so enjoyable, and the whole plot works quite well, so this was the last good Rom Com that I saw. Another good contender is "Music and Lyrics." Ok movie, but there was just ZERO chemistry between Grant and Barrymore. That was just a complete mismatch. But the campy music made it fun to watch. Maybe it's not that we lack the stars, we just need good writers.

Speaking of movies... remember the 2008 HKIFF is coming! Early booking starts next Saturday (Feb 23).

Here are some of my fave Rom Coms... hope to add more to the list soon...

Doctor Marcia Fieldstone: Tell me what was so special about your wife?
Sam Baldwin: Well, how long is your program? Well, it was a million tiny little things that, when you added them all up, they meant we were suppose to be together... and I knew it. I knew it the very first time I touched her. It was like coming home... only to no home I'd ever known... I was just taking her hand to help her out of a car and I knew. It was like... magic.

Edward Lewis: So what happens after he climbs up and rescues her?
Vivian: She rescues him right back.

William: I live in Notting Hill. You live in Beverly Hills. Everyone in the world knows who you are, my mother has trouble remembering my name.
Anna Scott: I'm also just a girl, standing in front of a boy, asking him to love her.

Robbie: [singing] I wanna make you smile whenever you're sad / Carry you around when your arthritis is bad / All I wanna do is grow old with you. / I'll get your medicine when your tummy aches / build you a fire if the furnace breaks / Oh it could be so nice, growin old with you. / I'll miss you, kiss you, give you my coat when you are cold. / Need you, feed you, I'll even let you hold the remote control. / So let me do the dishes in the kitchen sink / Put you to bed when you've had too much to drink. / Oh I could be the man to grow old with you. / I wanna grow old with you.

Iris: I understand feeling as small and as insignificant as humanly possible. And how it can actually ache in places you didn't know you had inside you. And it doesn't matter how many new haircuts you get, or gyms you join, or how many glasses of chardonnay you drink with your girlfriends... you still go to bed every night going over every detail and wonder what you did wrong or how you could have misunderstood. And how in the hell for that brief moment you could think that you were that happy. And sometimes you can even convince yourself that he'll see the light and show up at your door. And after all that, however long all that may be, you'll go somewhere new. And you'll meet people who make you feel worthwhile again. And little pieces of your soul will finally come back. And all that fuzzy stuff, those years of your life that you wasted, that will eventually begin to fade.


Lucy: Can I have one last first kiss?

Harry Burns: I love that you get cold when it's 71 degrees out. I love that it takes you an hour and a half to order a sandwich. I love that you get a little crinkle above your nose when you're looking at me like I'm nuts. I love that after I spend the day with you, I can still smell your perfume on my clothes. And I love that you are the last person I want to talk to before I go to sleep at night. And it's not because I'm lonely, and it's not because it's New Year's Eve. I came here tonight because when you realize you want to spend the rest of your life with somebody, you want the rest of your life to start as soon as possible.

4 comments:

naruto said...

差唔多套套都睇哂喎!
Notting Hill仲啱啱去埋㖭

CH Mak said...

These are classics! Especially "When Harry Met Sally" and "Sleepless in Seattle". Some lines are corny, but then, it's perfect when you're in the right mood. Ever watch "An Affair to Remember"? Clever plot twists in "Sleepless" that make reference to that 1957 classic with Cary Grant and Deborah Karr.

Sandee said...

These are classics~!

Do you like "While You Were Sleeping"? That's a great one as well!

ALEXIS said...

Emo movies shows the softer side of men. Glad you like 'em Ü