Monday, May 05, 2008

Nex Stay-suen is Adm#$*(!@*#)*ty


Just came back on MTR, with special service of a Tung Chung car running on Airport Express rail. (neat, eh?)

There were extra announcements as it was sort of a special service, and it got me wondering....
Why is it that ALL MTR operators only speak Hong Kong English? Sort of funny.

I remember the days before the standardized station announcements, it was always like:

"Pease stan crear of da chain doooooooors"

"Pease mai da patform gep"

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Haha....

I was at City Super over the weekend and the check out people kept yelling, "Please come to Line won/tool/fee/fall/fly/sick/sefun/egg/lie...." If they have the guts to charge me $50 a pop for a Hawaiian papaya that I could get in the states for US$2, they better hire someone who could speak English to go with that!

Best,
AnnMeiMei

Anonymous said...

all becos of the HK-style education they have had

CH Mak said...

"Lie fee pease"

Actually proper pronunciation is not always easy for everybody. In fact, I think for us Cantonese it's a little easier because our dialect already has so many tonal variations and lip sounds. It's often easy to tell if somebody is from Taiwan or the Mainland for their English pronunciations.

Anonymous said...

what's "Lie fee pease"? seems my pronunciation is not good either.

CH Mak said...

Pekoe: As you said... at CitySuper, I always hear them say... "Lie won pease", "Lie too pease", "Lie fee pease"... etc.

Anonymous said...

city super D英文又真係好好笑,但我D英文仲屎,去到泰國同日本反而溝通暢順

Anonymous said...

I had my share of funny Chinglish episodes in Hong Kong just a couple weeks ago. Starbucks, City Super, Greats...

"lice to meat you"
"wat do u tink?"

My tribute to HK education, especially the policy on the medium of instruction, is a big *sigh*

CH Mak said...

Naruto: 莫非你是Thai-Japanese? haha.

Matt: It's all around us. Just need to improve on pronunciation. Most of the time the grammar is alright. :)