Sunday, December 23, 2007

American style Christmas, American Life

Reporting on location from the US, so I use English ga la (actually, the problem is I can't find the Chinese input method here...)

Arrived yesterday after a 12-hour flight... after unloading my stuff at home, went nearby to an American diner, and had a true American-style waffle with 2 eggs and sausages... YUM! Sorry, didn't take a picture... but I guarantee you it was really good. Nothing beats warm butter and real maple syrup.

In order to get over jetlag, I tried my best not to sleep during the day... so I drove our family's old Camry that has over 110k miles on it. Still runs perfectly, and in good condition. Do you notice that we don't have any old cars in HK? Of course not counting those classic cars. But it's hard to find many "cheen chut" in HK. Mostly it's because of registration requirements and the inconvenience of having to go through the required smog checks every year after the car turns 7 years old.

Anyway, after breakfast I went to the local gym, the REAL 24-hour fitness. It's a Friday and it's still quite packed during lunch. Like the no-frills style gym, almost looks like it's housed in warehouse. My take is... a gym is a gym. As long as it has adequate equipment in good condition, that's all I need!

Another of my favourite living in the US, is going to the bookstore. Barnes and Noble and Borders are two of my favourites. I like Borders better, because B&N is just getting too big. But anyway, after gym I headed to B&N and browsed through the periodicals sections. Always a good way to spend spare time, looking through gossips magazines, Travel and Leisure, Fitness, Real Estate and stuff. I also like looking through Robb Report Christmas edition, where they showcase the most outrageous Christmas gifts... this year, a Ferrari F1, a 300-carat diamond, million-dollar yachts, etc. Good to dream from time to time.

Went to a movie afterwards... "Enchanted".

Had been looking forward to seeing this movie since seeing its trailer in late Summer, and also reading it on Donald's blog. What a fresh approach to Disney classics. And the characters are so lovable! The little girl Morgan (played by Rachel Covey) is just so adorable. And though I've never been a "Grey's Anatomy" fan, Patrick Dempsey also did quite well, and is very charming,and what's there not to like about his character? Prince Edward (James Marsden)'s character is quite hollow, maybe written to reflect reality in fairy tales? That nothing is ever perfect. Marsden sings quite well though. Amy Adams is just a pleasure to watch, and of course how could you not love a fallen Princess in Sin City?

It's always a favourite thing of mine to catch movies in the US, because they don't get released in HK until months after. I'll probably also do:
The Savages

Charlie Wilson's War

I'm Not There

Elizabeth: The Golden Age

27 Dresses

No Country for An Old Man


Hope I've got enough time :)

3 comments:

Fun said...

how could u fail to take pic ga?! learn frm a lesson, keep yr camera in pocket when u travel ar ma~

110K isnt too bad la, and japanese cars always run well even with high mileage ga~

aiya, u watched Enchanted tim, hate u~ hv to wait another month here in hk lor~

wei wei merry xmas la~ its boxing today, very nice weather here in hk lor~

miss u la~

CH Mak said...

Hai ar... Enchanted is so much fun. Will see it with you if you want. :)

Too hungry so no pic lor. But I did take some pictures a couple of days ago of another waffle breakfast in Berkeley. Will share it once I download it from my DC.

Merry X'mas to you too. Very cold here in SF (around 8C), and cool in LA too. Miss you too. ;))

CH Mak said...

Damn.... ended up NOT seeing any of those movies listed.... I'm Not There, Elizabeth, 27 Dresses... etc. oh well, can't do everything within a short period of time.