Sunday, March 11, 2007

Have you Googled where you used to live?

It's so cool! Euclid, Cedar, San Luis, Indian Rock, Gilman, Unversity, Durant, 19th, Marview, Market, Bloomfield, Goldenwest... streets I used to drive on to get home; Rose Walk, Vine Lane, Hawthorne Terrace... paths I used to walk my dog; Hearst, Bancroft, College, Channing, Haste, Bowditch... sidwalks I used to roam during my college days; and of course places I have traveled to, childhood roaming grounds in Tsuen Wan and Ho Man Tin, places I've lived in all over HK, Kennedy Town, Happy Valley, Kowloon Bay; and places I've stayed over at all over HK (!)... the little pensione on the Canal in Venice, the park where I spent a sunset overlooking Florence and Ponte Vecchio, the little B&B near Carmel, the grand resorts on Maui. Places where I would like to visit: Pyramids at Giza, highlands in Yunnan, the Safari in Africa, little quiant villages in Nova Scotia. The world is not just a big atlas, but the atlas brings you to them bit by bit, until you finally make plans to go there.
Geography, it's not just an academic subject, it's also about history, sociology, memories, and dreams. With the superimposed satellite images over street grids, you can now feel just that much closer to the real thing. :)
Try it: http://maps.google.com

No comments: