Thursday, March 01, 2007

How can you NOT like living in the Bay Area?




Looking through some of my pictures from recent trips, and thinking of a comment I made on the previous post, I begin to appreciate a life that seemed to have existed in another dimension. From 1994 to 2001, with a one-year absence in between, I lived in the Bay Area, where weather is a bit cool, scenery is always great, neighborhoods distinctive, pedestrians friendly, restaurants fantastic, and real estate is definitely expensive.
Never ventured into the museums, but since I left in 2001 the great de Young has been reopened, with awesome architecture and landscaping. Galleries near Chinatown/North Beach were always a pleasure to stroll through on weekends. Shopping was fun for me, and Stanford and Hillsdale were my favorite. The Embarcadero was great for meals and entertainment... movies and dim sum at Harbour Village (closed) and Yank Sing were always great. Brunch at Mama's on Washington Square after a one-hour queue on a Sunday; the Metreon (do people still go there?) for movies and gadgets, and Union Square were great for window shopping too! "Parking" at Borders to read periodicals, dropping by Banana Republic to look for latest bargains, and weekly check at Man's Music in Chinatown for the latest Canto pop albums... Further down on Market there's SoMA, Van Ness... the bars, the clubs, operas and Hard Rock Cafe! Dining at Maki at Japantown was a weekly activity... how could we do without Yu Tofu or Beef Wappa, and the occasional Sukiyaki or Shabu Shabu? Movies at the Kabuki, brunch on Fillmore, casual dinner in Castro. And occasional strolls into Smith & Hawken? Reading at Cody's Books and Builder's Booksource? Brunch at Bette's Oceanview Diner? And I haven't even started to count places in Berkeley, Marin, Sonoma/Napa and Santa Cruz! Set dinner at Chez Panisse, shopping at Andronico's, burritos at Cancun, dinner at Ajanta, and Bongo Burgers, Zachary's Pizza on Solano, Cafe Milano, Cafe Strada, Crepes A-Go-Go, Kirala, Sun Hong Kong, Au Coquelet Cafe, Venezia on University, these were my favorite places! Can any place on Earth offer more than the Bay Area?
It's been a year and a half since I was back there in 2005, and I hope it will be on my itenaray this year for another visit.

No comments: