Friday, April 04, 2008

Sick but "Hea" times....

As posted previously, being sick as my vacation started really dampened my spirits. But seeing Fun and AM having so much fun, I really didn't want to be a party-pooper.

So I did try to join them on some of their outings.
As I said, my moving radius for the first few days was confined to a 1km distance. What's within 1km? Quite a bit. The last time I actually toured Osaka was actually.... geeez, about 25 years ago, when I was quite small. I remember it was my first trip abroad. My brother and I flew ALONE to Tokyo through Taipei. My mother must have been crazy (hahaha) to let two primary school students (I think I was in P1?) to fly alone?! But anyhow, I just remember being "interrogated" when we were transiting through TPE (probably asking what on earth could two kids be traveling alone, hahaha). Anyhow, I have no recollection of that trip, except that we went to the Expo Park in Osaka, where they held the World Expo in 1970. I vaguely remember that structure with the face of a Sun with an arched body and two "wings" extended.

So, this is practically a new City for me to explore. Osaka always seemed to be an ugly sister of Tokyo. My impression was that it's mainly industrial and business, without the exciting neighbourhoods and destinations in Tokyo. Most of that, is still true, I think; but Osaka holds its own with cool shopping streets and areas to spend a good 3 days. And the scale of the City seems to be less overwhelming that Tokyo.

Didn't do any "homework" before heading there, so when it comes to things to do, I left it to Fun. But it turns out, I'm the Map King, so it was up to me to tell them where to go and what to see with our 3 guidebooks. But due to my condition, we did walk down the wrong direction a few times (sorry guys).

I think the reason I love Japan, is because I love their cuisine. Love fish, love tofu, love soba, love their presentation, love specialized restaurants, love local eats, love dessert... just love them. But in order to really have a good time, I think you also need to be willing to splurge a little. It's difficult to be thrifty in Japan, at least no in dining. I'm not saying we can't have cheap local food, but for a few times on the trip, you really need to just forget about your wallet and just splurge... (just like Fun at HG) But, oh well, I was sick anyway, so didn't get to try anything spectacular on this trip. Though I really would have loved to.

Let's go to some pictures...

A local landmark: Namba Hips, an entertainment building (with pachinko, games arcade and restaurants) with a Free Fall ride on the outside. Not the sort of gaming place that excites us, but our dear Fun did, somehow, won a Darth Vader mask from one of those "doll picking" machines. But Fun refused to bring it back to HK with him wor.....

According to our 日本通, the Fat Lady who's performing at the Shin Kabukiza is somebody well-known. I just know that alot of elderly and retired were lining up to get in for the 11am "matinee" show....

I could only watch in amusement... See those shopping queens...

The main drag in Namba: Dotonbori

Our favourite pastime: dessert, dessert, and more dessert

This place is located at the basement of the Daimaru on Midosuji in Shinsaibashi. Nothing special, but I first visited one of their shops on a road trip from Paris to Normandy last Summer. (I think it's in one of my older posts) Oh how time flies...

5 comments:

Fun said...

係.. 我係負責諗去邊,不過我係唔識睇地圖囉,你係地圖王嘛,幫下團友囉!如果你唔係睇咁多地圖搵路,可能無好得咁快呀 :p

哇,張相幾時影架?AM個幾袋都好似係我架呵 :P

CH Mak said...

你咪就係日本通lor。我地gor d 叫 team work啊嘛。。。

係啊,AM幫你挽袋之餘仲叨你d Shopping光。哈哈。

Anonymous said...

個跳樓機有幾高?
激唔激?
我最鍾意跳樓機,海洋公園嗰個太低能。:(
八景島就好得

我喺巴黎都有食Paul喎

CH Mak said...

According to this website (http://www.osaka-etoko.ne.jp/en/mm/log/200801/200801hp-en-01.php), the free fall ride is 74m in height and falling at 22m/s. Dunno how fast that is in comparison to Ocean Park's. Speaking of which, I tried it last month, and it was fun, though not as scary as I thought... but still some friends (including AM) were too scared to try wor... hahaha.

Paul is a decent boulangerie with good choices. Fun said they've opened one up in Shanghai wor...

Anonymous said...

74M都OK,八景島107M,不過上超慢,落超快

海洋公園嗰個連離心力都無:(當然唔會驚啦!
你衰啦,爆人秘密