Thursday, January 31, 2008

A yearly tradition

How do you want to do it... with all of your close friends? a selected group of friends? spread it out into multiple gatherings? an intimate candle-lit dinner for two? or just plain-old family gathering?

I've tried it all.

So this year, it's back to the basics. I remember one year, maybe 4 or 5 years ago, it was Chinese New Year time and both of my parents were back in HK. It was one of those strange events (maybe due to the alignment of some cosmic forces) that we were all reunited under one roof. While it's not like it never happens anymore, it was still special considering the circumstances and the timing.

I heard before somewhere, that birthdays are not really a celebration for yourself as a being, but more an occasion to thank your parents for bringing you into this world and trying their best to raise you into a decent human being.

So while last year's big feast is still a vivid memory... I mean, I don't think I ever had that big a group sitting together in my honour, plus the fact that it was also the debute of a new beau, whom, sorry to say, has taken an eternal leave of absence... it would remain as it is, good memory, from the past.

Thinking back and reading some of the old posts, I dubbed last year the start of a great decade... things were finally working out in all sorts of ways, I was comfortable. But like everything else, good things also come to end. That does not mean my run is over though. Entering the 2nd year of the decade, I look at myself, and I see a slightly more seasoned person, with a few more scars here and there, but making good progress. That's what living is about, right?

So, back to square one... or, maybe more appropriate: just another beginning, among the many and many more we all will face, and should be glad that we can do it again and again :)


1 comment:

Wordy said...

sounds nice indeed! a new beginning always brings hope, strength and momentum. we just need a push sometimes.

I prefer a plain-old family gathering now. Most friends are married or "engaged". To spend some quality time with family or by your myself is not bad.

Memories would come flooding back or fade. Just let it be and you will see the truth behind.