Monday, February 12, 2007

CNY, when you've passed 30 (2/12/07)

Last year, after all the gatherings and family obligations were done with, I told my Dad that it would be my last CNY in Hong Kong. From then on I'd be traveling every year to "escape" the onslaught of questions and being the subject to poke fun at. And let me tell you, it's not fun when everybody starts asking the same questions and also telling you how embarassing it is for a 30-year old to get Lai-sees.
CNY used a be fun. The endless New Year cakes, sweet soups, big feasts, fireworks, afternoon movies, games with other kids in the neighbourhood, video games, new clothes, red packets, huge gatherings, mah-jong... why has it all become just a big chore?
Is it time that I should take a pass on all these CNY Obligations, and do my own things with friends, or just have a quiet holiday? But isn't the purpose of CNY being with the family and celebrating good health and togetherness?
(Do you see the Aquarius pattern of self-contradicting arguments?)
I still enjoy the fireworks, but I realize none of my friends would go with me anymore... so actually I haven't seen it in person since 2004. There is something I like about fireworks... thousands of people, waiting around for hours. Marvelling at the same colourful sparkles, oooh-ing and aaah-ing at the same time. Kids' screams, families being with each other, enjoying the city and the loud booms echoing among the curtain walls of skyscrapers. You look around, if lucky enough, with friends surrounding you, hoping for greater and better things for the new year, that it'd turn out as bright and colourful as the fireworks. It is a good atmosphere, and you can never feel that on TV. (well, it could also feel rather depressing when you are there alone and NOT with any friends beside you... so don't do that, I'm speaking from experience)
So what do guys passed 30 do in CNY? What about a BBQ gathering with other 30+ y.o. friends?

No comments: