Thursday, February 15, 2007

Sandy and Me (15/2/07)

I'm certainly among friends that are as "die-hard" as I am when it comes to being a Sandy Lam fan. Below are some of my 1st with Sandy:
1st memory: 灰色performance at 1987 Jade Solid Gold Awards
Always thought she was cool, but more like a Japanese cover-version singer who didn't sing too well. And what's up with her gigs with Blue Jeans? Her performance was not very good, and in fact I thought she certainly needed more live practice.
1st album: Dynamic Reaction (1990/EP), Wildflower (1991)
My cousin Mary had a big influence on my childhood music selection. It's because of her that I like Alan Tam instead of Leslie Cheung. And the popularity of Sandy with school girls also got me the EP in 1990. I thought it was cool dance music, and she's definitely more "hip" than others bubble gum pop songstress. As I moved to the US in 1990, I carried with me Sandy's image as the premier female singer in HK. She was simply HOT.
I was given "Wildflower" as a bday gift from my bro. Little did he know how much Sandy would mean to me in later years. But this album is the quintessential milestone in HK pop. Always cited as one of the best albums in 1990s, even in Cantonese pop. The flower theme, her teaming up with talents from Taiwan and Singapore, use of Chinese instruments, eye-popping MTVs, the non-main-stream plugs, and even under her OWN production company. She had something else in mind, and it was a risky move, and depending on whom you ask, it either cost her the coveted Most Popular Female Singer Award, or launched her into something entirely a league of her own. Even when I listen to "Wildflower" nowadays the songs are not a bit outdated, which is very rare in local offerings.

1st concert: 1993 天地野花情撼紅舘


Had to come back and see it in person, and 10 concerts in one go proved to be a bit too much for the box office. But nonetheless, Sandy blossomed into an on-stage diva, every move, every note she sang was with confidence and an air of flair, that not many singers possess. This is even more evident in the 1996 and 2002 concerts.


1st overseas concert: 2002 上海演唱會
An 80,000-seat outdoor venue, how can you beat that? It rained, we danced, the place was a bit too big, and the audience was a bit subdued.
Most memorable concert: 1996憶蓮盛放音樂會, last show (8 Sept 1996)

Typhoon Number 8 hoisted, and practically full-house and unstoppable dancing. Was that really Hong Kong? Nothing ever come close to the euphoric atmosphere on this very night. Or I guess that was the start of having "Disco" encores in HK concerts.

Closest encounter: Someday in 2006, lift lobby and inside a lift in my office building.
I couldn't believe it but Sandy was in the same lift with me and stood right behind me. I was..... frozen. Haha. As a self-respecting fan and completely respecting her privacy, I wouldn't dare to say anything among a "lift-ful" of people. But gosh, that was exhilarating. :)
(I want to thank Terence of http://www.sandyandme.com/ for the source of the above graphics, and also being my trusted source of Sandy news. It was godsent. Sorry to have stolen the webpage's title :))

No comments: