Tuesday, February 06, 2007

The lack of a reason not to continue seeing somebody? (posted 2/6/07)

When I heard it I thought it's a difficult concept...
You meet somebody, you start dating. How are those "REALLY SPECIAL" ones different from those that are just a 3-month trick? I mean, at the beginning of each one, you're hopeful, and you might even have the same tingly feeling that this might be "THE ONE." But then all of us know most would fall by the way side, and only a few would stand out. So, is this game about who can outlast others? Or are some people are "destined" to be your special someone?
The idea of ONE soulmate, or a few selected ones, is an alien concept to me, though I find it extremely romantic. I mean, who controls these things, if somebody on the other side of the world is really your destined one? Is it more an issue of belief and faith? Or is it that there are alot of eligible people out there, and it's just a matter of time when you find one that shares similar aspirations, hopes, outlook in life, etc. that they become a special someone? Are the two ideas in alignment, just explained differently?
Are there forces apart from just chance meetings/luck that dictate how the course of our romance would be? If I hadn't gone to the US in 1990, I wouldn't end up in San Francisco in 1994 and met the people whom shaped my youth. But that wouldn't mean that I wouldn't have met others that would shape me otherwise. Sure it was just a whole bunch of chance meetings turned well, but are they really that special? Maybe I would have met even MORE special people in Orange County? Or even Hong Kong?
What am I saying? I just don't know how to define what is special, because everything COULD be special. Would you know you're in something special, when you're in it? Or only after?

No comments: